Sunday, May 22, 2011

Taimun 2011

As I was reading some of my old posts, I realized that I did a Taimun post, and that I had yet to do one this year.  Anyways, this year I was part of the TAS Taimun team, in which I was the Delegate of France for the Human Rights committee.  Our topics this year were somewhat, boring compared to last years.  They were: The Prevention of Unethical Clinical Trials, and The Protection of Journalists in Armed Combat Areas.  I being somewhat interested in medicine, chose the first topic. After many practices at school, my resolution was, in my opinion very well done.  This year, I became a Main Submitter for my topic, as I was one of the somewhat unorganized few who chose this topic.

Because many delegates chose the second topic, there weren't many other delegates to merge resolutions with.  As a result, I had a rather, abridged resolution, with only three other delegates who actually merged.  The other group had about eight other delegates, who merged.  I believed that mine would not pass because mine had barely any help, however, I still had hope. 

During debate, mine was attacked frequently, however because previous resolutions took too much time, mine was debated for only about 35-40 minutes, which was very disconcerting.  However, I still enjoyed the experience of being a main submitter.

I would like to give a shout out to my two awesome chairs: Winnie Liao and Ros Wong, as well as friends that I made and some that I have met before: Paul Wu, Chris Ko, Stephanie Yang and Julia Kee. 

Well, see you all next year!

PS. I will post my final/failed resolution.

No comments: