Friday, February 16, 2018

Chick Chick Boom: Thai Food in Central Square

I've been told by many of my Boston friends that they don't "care" about my food reviews in other places (I'm looking at you MARK).  As a result, I've been hard-pressed to visit and write more reviews about some of the restaurants in Boston.  I wrote a very short review of my visit to Chick Chick Boom, a Thai restaurant specializing in chicken dishes with a special focus in Thai-style chicken wings.  I visited this restaurant during the "bombogenesis" winter storm that occurred in early January.  The restaurant is located a few blocks away from Central Square's Massachusetts Ave.

As most know, I'm a sucker for South East Asian food whether it's Singaporean, Malaysian and sometimes Thai. What drew me in was Khao Mun Ghai, the Thai variant on Hainan Chicken Rice, a rice dish with steamed chicken and wonderful sauces to compliment.  The differences between the two dishes are very subtle and yet, Hainan Chicken Rice always ends up as being my preference.  Khao Mun Ghai tends to have more intense accompanying sauces that play into the muted flavors of the chicken. 

I was a little disappointed though. The plate is listed as 14.99, but what was served was a decent serving of rice, but only five pieces of breast meat. Mind you, the breast wasn't dry and in fact was very lovely to eat, but the price point is what kills me a little. Everything tasted wonderfully and I was treated very well but to me for that price, it could've been more.  In a typical serving of Hainan Chicken Rice, there's usually a mix of both white and dark meat to offer variety of textures and flavors.  As I said, the food was indeed good, it's just the portion to price ratio was very disappointing.

The other item I ordered was the Thai Green Curry chicken wings. I had 8 wings which was priced around 8$ and it was amazing. It was a very thick coating of curry that had all the wonderful components of heat, acidity and lots of ginger flavor.  While the chicken wings were coated a thick sauce, the wings still maintained a definitive crunch.  In hindsight, I probably should've ordered the wings entree which comes with a plate of wings and a fried rice or noodles entree that comes out to around 9-11$. I wish I had taken a picture, but I was just too hungry to not enjoy my meal.

I have been jumping back and forth between giving this establishment a 4 or a 3 out of 5 because the food tasted amazing. No doubts there, but the pricing is still throwing me off.  In the end, I decided to rate the restaurant a 3 on Yelp.  Nonetheless I plan to return and enjoy this restaurant and hopefully make the smarter choice.